Today’s feature at Gulfstream Park is the GR 3 Skip Away Stakes at 1 1/8 Mile. The race features a decent group of older horses trying to notch a Graded Stakes win. In post position order:
1. 10-1 Hy Riverside : Fading pattern. He posted a very quick 4.9 Best in December, but has steadily faded since then. He is not at all fresh as this will be his 6th start of the year. Connections have OK stats. Will need a sharp turnaround.
2. 3-1 Flashy Jewel: Slight Fading pattern. He is the likely pace setter, as he just wired a Stakes field going 1 1/16, posting a 7.5, which is just off his 6.5 Best. Solid connections. Dangerous gate to wire threat!
3. 4-1 Fear the Cowboy: OFF his Best. Posted a 5.2 Best in October, however he has not been close to that in his last few. Trainer Loza has a very sharp 30% win rate over the past year plus, although he is winless at this meet, and jockey Rios is having a very rough meet. Needs to turn things around.
4. 2-1 Zulu: OFF his Best. The morning line favorite posted a very fast 4.8 Best as a 3YO last year in running a decent 2nd to Mohaymen in the GR 2 Fountain of Youth Stakes. He was laid off for 8 months before returning in December and has posted back to back 5.9’s. Connections Pletcher and Ortiz are excellent. Very Dangerous!
5. 30-1 Joshua’s Comprise: Mild Circle Back pattern. Posted a modest 9.1 Best in January and appears to be moving back towards that Number. Connections are both having very rough meets. Will need huge improvement.
6. 5-1 Team Colors: OFF his Best. He notched a quick 4.8 Best in running a very credible 2nd to Valid in this very event last year. After being sidelined for 9 months, he returned to post a modest 8.9, and then ran a 9.2 in a very sharp Turf effort, where the final Numbers may have been influenced by a slow early pace. I am a huge fan of trainer Jerkins and jockey Lopez has very good stats. My top pick!
In a race where there are scant positive patterns, I look for Team Colors to run well.